THE ORIGINS OF THE NAME - WORSER BAY

James Heberley was appointed to the New Zealand Company’s Wellington Pilot Station in Lyall Bay in 1840.

Later in the 1860’s the Wellington Harbour Pilot was shifted to what is now known as Worser Bay.  A keen student of the weather, in James’ opinion the weather was always getting ‘worser’. So eventually, the bay became known as ‘Old Worser’s Bay’.

Pilot Station - 1880s.JPG

Our History

The Club was registered as the 'Worser Bay Amateur Swimming and Life Saving Club Incorporated' until about 1960. The club is now known as ‘Worser Bay Life Saving Club’.